Saturday, August 24, 2013

Egypt and Middle East versus Western world media?

Okay, in a way I'm also Western world media, using my blogs, Facebook and twitter to tell "my opinions" and sympathies.

to quote Shakespeare : "There is the rub":  dilemmas are often not easy at all!  Of course, I am a democrat.  Even when I said in the past (CompuServe 1994-99) that I rather like to be seen as an *enlightened despot*,  than a *corrupt democrat*!  The latter being the standard IMO ! ;)

Now back to Egypt, a huge nation with a respectful old history, a doubtful recent 1/2 cententury, and a difficult present.  (Even so is Syria, now I the spotlight, but also all Arab countries!)
Based on factual events the last years, including fearful, shivering stories by my former correspondents - who don't dare to keep in touch with me (a gay, western atheist) anymore -   and many awfull pics (mainly from Alexandria) I think I have at least some clue on what is going on THERE.  Nope, never been in Egypt! (Has been on my wish list "to visit once" for decades) 
According to my personal sources until last months and many respectful media like those listed beneath, the situation is at least controversial!  State tv stations are usually projecting (often propaganda) for the rulers.  Many "social media" with YouTube up-front are projecting images you cannot verify!  Time, date nor place; and perhaps the worst: real or mock-up, live or staged... None can tell!!! Even my personal sources -whom I wish to believe- are at least not without any questions.  Real scapegoats are also subject to manipulation and -local - propaganda!  That is one thing for sure!  

Therefore I'm very reluctant to shear or whoooo, believe or disbelieve , what is shown or said or written. At least the first days, but even for years. One very simple reason: I know how even parliamentary enquiries in the NL have been manipulated for weeks  (absolute lies, deception and  PERJURY !)   and the outcome "believed" to be true.  

Never the less, al media do show one thing for sure: the arabian spring went over into a "freezing hot" summer!  Indeed: a contradiction.  And frankly, I think that the truth (if any) will never come out!   Were those pics from burning churches recent or from 2 years ago? Are those so called poison gas attacks by the state forces in Syria real, or did the so called rebels did it?  Who can tell the truth??? :( 

My daily sources: 
Al-Jazeera, BBC-World, CNN, ARD & ZDF,  Tv5-monde, VPRO & NOS/NTR and TG RAI on tv.  
Papers like NRC-Next (NL) de Morgen, De Standaard (VL) The Guardian (UK) Le Monde, Le Figaro (F), Deutsches Tageblatt, Süddeutsche Zeitung (D) WashingtonPost, NY-Times, Huffington Post (Us) La Stampa (I)  Bangkok Post (Th).  
All above media (and a few more) are sending their headlines on Facebook and Twitter.   In case of an event I do view and read them all.  And yes, I do question them all too.  Only god knows the truth... and since there is no god... B:) 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Danny,

    Confused about developments in the Arab world, that's how you sound. Well, I can't blame you. If you want to dig more into what's going on, I think I can give you a clue. Think of all the different groups involved, in Egypt for example, and think of third parties that are on the side involved (like the USA) and try to figure out what are the interests of each of these players and how do you think each of them would like to manipulate the media. A lot of what's published, is for sure not true. An example: officially the USA is concerned about what will become of democratic processes under the new regime in Egypt. No, they're not. They don't give a damn. It's perfectly in their interest that the army took over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi T myn jong! ;)
      Nope, I'm not confused at all! :) But very worried about what the media is doing: selecting "selected images", edit and comment it into a story that will be seen bij Obama, Merkel, .... Who are thus reacting on very very selective and edited "reports". Of course, I'm in a way also selective! But at least I saw the whole day, for days what was developing and what all channel were broadcasting *unedited*. The edited reports at the end of the day (what not only people worldwide but presidents and Prime ministers will see, judge and react on, is what confuses me! Even angers me!

      When Kerry tells the world that they " do have evidence" that Assad launched an attack with chemical weapons.... and will share it with the world in a few days.... I have no dauts that the CIA and NSA are working hard in overtime to produce that evidence now! Remember Powell at the UN who came up with satellite images of moveable installations for weapons of mass destruction, proving that Sadam was the devil himself, justifying the war in Irak?

      That is what worries me!

      Delete